There are lots of users who are reporting an annoying error ‘The directory name is invalid’ after an installation or upgradation of Windows 10. They face this error when they insert a CD/DVD drive or try to open an SD card/ External hard disk/ USB Device or try to create a directory.
No worries folks, Device tricks have the right remedy for it. On your thousands of humble request, we have come up with this tutorial. Guiding you to the easiest steps to fix your problem is our only mission.
- 1 What is “The directory name is invalid” Error
- 1.1 1. ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for a DVD drive
- 1.2 2. ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for SD card/External hard drive/ USB
- 2 Conclusion
What is “The directory name is invalid” Error
‘The directory name is invalid’ is a system error and it may occur on any PC or Laptop. This error prevents us from opening certain directories, folders or files. According to the problems faced by users we have characterized the solutions accordingly.
- ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for a DVD drive
- ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for SD card/ External hard disk/ USB Device
1. ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for a DVD drive
Oh, it seems you are facing trouble in playing your DVD. Don’t spoil your mood for the evening. You have every opportunity to fix such kind of error. There are two ways to recover the situation; either you can go for
- Repairing or Removing Windows Essentials or
- Disabling DVD drive
Repairing or Removing Windows Essentials
- Search and select for Start > Settings > Apps > subsequently and then proceed further to click Windows Essentials from the following lists.
- Once done with selection procedure a dialogue block will appear asking about Repair or Uninstall the App. Go for your choice of a button and follow the sets of instructions to finish the process.
Disabling DVD drive
- Press Windows + X and choose Device Manager from the drop-down list.
- Click to expand the DVD/CD-ROM drives, right click on it and select Disable device.
- Click on Yes to confirm the Disable device process.
- Later choose your DVD drive and enable it again. Restart the PC and look for the error ‘The Directory name is invalid’ whether it’s gone or not.
2. ‘The Directory name is invalid’ for SD card/External hard drive/ USB
Hey, what’s the matter are you in trouble using your SD card/External hard drive/USB. Is it every time you try to use your devices you are surprised by this error.
Not worry you can fix this problem by following a few steps. There are four ways in which you can troubleshoot this error ‘The Directory name is invalid’.
Method I: Check on another USB port
Many times the error ‘The directory name is invalid’ pop up because of a faulty or a dead USB port. That means if for example one o the USB port of any PC or a Laptop is dead and you have plugged external device or a mass storage devices in it, then it’s obvious that you will receive ‘The Directory name is invalid’ error.
- Simply unplug the device from the dead port and plug it into another port.
- Check if the error has been fixed or not. If the error persists then go for another method.
Method II: Check Disk Drive Errors with Properties
- Open This PC; right-click on the hard disk drive which is facing the error ‘The directory name is invalid’ and select Properties from the menu.
- Properties tab will take you to the Tools button.
- Hit the button and select the check option. It will help to scan and check the errors in the drive.
- Click scan and repair the drive. Once the scanning is done restart the computer and sees the problem is fixed. If you still see the error ‘The directory name is invalid’ go for the next method.
Method III: Update Disk Driver with Device manager
- Press Windows + R
- Hit OK to see Device Manager, Select Disk drive from the drop-down list.
- Expand the Disk drives, right click and select your device facing the error.
- Run the updated Wizard and check out whether the problem is fixed or not if not try the next method.
Method IV: Create a new simple partition in unallocated space
- Summon a run window by pressing Windows + R and type diskmgmt.msc. Press ok to open the manager.
- Right click on the unallocated space and choose to create New Simple Volume.
- Follow the Wizard and finish the process. Try to access the device again.
We as a team believe that our tutorials have sorted out your problems in just a few simple steps and if there are some niches where you need fixing, write us back. We provide our assistance in solving and fixing issues in Laptops, Androids, and Electronic gadgets.
Our Tech Guru provides guidance to keep your system healthy and up to date updated to the current growing technologies in the market. We have every solution to your question. Feel free to write us back on our facebook page or comment us on our website.