Do you see “the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b error)” when trying to run random apps on your PC? This error is a standard Windows error and it does not elaborate anything. The error rarely pops up on the computers that run the Anniversary Update of Windows 10. But, it sometimes appears in Creator Update. There are a number of reasons for this error to pop up. So you need to try a different fix for each of these reasons. The main cause of this error is the incompatibility between 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows and applications. This error may also appear when you try to run a program or game.
If this error has affected only a single application on your system, there is a possibility that the application got corrupted. You should reinstall that application and try to run again. However, usually, this bug affects more than one application. It prevents the computer owner to use various services. The causes may be corrupted or missing .NET Framework 3.5 or Visual C++ Redistributable Packages.
- 1 The causes and solutions for “the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)” error
- 1.1 Restart Your System to fix the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b) error
- 1.2 Re-Install the Corrupted Application to fix 0xc00007b error
- 1.3 Update Your Windows to fix “the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)” bug
- 1.4 Run the application in Compatibility Mode to fix 0xc00007b error
- 1.5 Reinstall Dot Net Framework to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
- 1.6 Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to fix 0xc00007b error
- 1.7 Upgrade Windows 10 from 32 bit to 64 bit to fix the error 0xc00007b
- 1.8 How to Change the Value of the LoadAppinit_dlls Key to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
- 1.9 Perform a Clean Boot to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
- 1.10 Check the Disk to fix the error 0xc00007b
- 2 Conclusion
The causes and solutions for “the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)” error
If compared to other errors such as 0x80070057, 0x80070002, 0x80004005 or 0x80070005, the 0xc00007b error is more common. It is possible for you to encounter this bug on a regular basis. When you get this error, it’s similar to the situation when someone speaks out loudly “Something is wrong!” but doesn’t give the details of the incidence. The system is not going to be very helpful – it is not going to tell you the reason of this error.
There are no defined methods to fix the error 0xc00007b. However, there are scores of quick fixes that you can try to get rid of this annoying error. If quick fixes don’t work for you, you can try advanced solutions. Try the following solutions one after another if the first method doesn’t fix this issue.
Restart Your System to fix the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b) error
Although it’s a very simple solution sometimes it produces positive results. So, try to restart your Windows first and if it doesn’t work, try the next fix.
Re-Install the Corrupted Application to fix 0xc00007b error
If you have only a single corrupted application, then try this method. Launch the affected application using Administrator rights. In case, it doesn’t work, try to reinstall the corrupted app by doing the following steps.
- Right-click on the actual executable or shortcut for the malfunctioning game or application.
- Select Properties, then open Compatibility tab.
- Mark the “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox and then click OK.
Update Your Windows to fix “the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)” bug
If you update your Windows OS, it is likely that you’ll fix this issue and solve some other issues too. In addition, while doing this process, you can also update some programs and features built-in Windows OS such as .NET Framework and DirectX. So, update your operating system to fix the 0xc000007b error. After completing this process, reboot your system and try to run the game or program again.
If this quick fix doesn’t solve the problem, you should try the next method which is an advanced solution to fix this error.
Run the application in Compatibility Mode to fix 0xc00007b error
Running the application in compatibility mode is a quick fix that works for many users. When you encounter this error, you should attempt to run the application in compatibility mode and check if it works or not. Do the following steps to run the app in compatibility mode.
- Right-click on the app icon and select “Properties.”
- Click on the “Compatibility” tab.
- Click on the “Run compatibility troubleshooter.”
- Tick “Run this program as an administrator” checkbox.
- Select the troubleshooting option “Try the recommended settings” and then click on “OK.”
- Now run the program again to check if this method fixed the bug.
Reinstall Dot Net Framework to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
If you used Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 before and then upgraded to Windows 10, there is a higher likelihood that you’ll come across this bug. These Windows operating systems use .NET framework 3.5, so many applications also used this framework. Windows 10 comes with .NET framework 4.5 and doesn’t include version 3.5. Therefore, it becomes incompatible with those applications that used .NET framework 3.5. The upgraded Windows 10 may cause error 0xc000007b. If you’ve purchased your computer with Windows 10, you are less likely to encounter this error. In this case, you should do the following steps:
- Head to the Microsoft website for downloading .NET Framework 3.5.
- Follow the Installation wizard.
- Reboot and run the application.
Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable to fix 0xc00007b error
While upgrading Windows 10, if Microsoft Visual C++ files got destroyed or corrupted, they affect games more than other programs. Therefore, if the error pops up while loading a game, do the following steps.
- Right-click on the Windows key and select “Control Panel.”
- Open “Programs and Features”.
- Uninstall/Remove all “Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable” items.
- Navigate to the Microsoft website and download the latest files along with the 2010 files. These files include msvcp100.dll, msvcr100.dll, xinput1_3.dll, and msvcr100_clr0400.dll.
- Follow the installation wizard and perform manual installation of “Visual C++ Redistributable Package.”
- Reboot the system and try to run the app again.
Upgrade Windows 10 from 32 bit to 64 bit to fix the error 0xc00007b
When you try to start an application which is compatible with the 64-bit operating system and your computer is running a 32-bit OS, this error appears. A 32-bit application is not able to load 64-bit DLL. Upgrading Windows 10 from 32 to 64 bit is the best solution in this case. Before upgrading, back up your important documents using any reliable backup program.
Note: It would be better to create your backup file on cloud or on any external disk because the local backup might get destroyed or corrupted.
How to Change the Value of the LoadAppinit_dlls Key to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
Corrupted or unsigned DLL causes an error, thus we can fix this issue by using Reget.exe and changing the value of LoadAppinit_dls key to 0. Basically, LoadAppInit_dll is a technique that’ll start the DLLs in their reg-key when a program starts. Thus, you might fix the error by changing the value of LoadAppinit_dls key to 0.
- Hold the Windows key + R.
- Type regedit.exe and press Enter.
- Go to “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows” path.
- Double click on “LoadAppInit_Dll.”Now change its value to 0 and click on “OK.”
- Reboot your system.
Perform a Clean Boot to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b)
You can start Windows OS with a minimal set of startup programs and drivers. So, it is easy for you to find out if a background program interferes with your program or game. If required, you should free up drive space on your PC before performing a clean boot. For 0xc00007b error fix, do the following steps to perform a clean boot on Windows 10.
- Sign into your system as an administrator.
- Click Start and type “msconfig” into the Search Windows box.
- Select “System Configuration” in the search result.
- Click on the Services tab in the “System Configuration” dialog box.
- Click or tap to select the “Hide all Microsoft Services” checkbox and then click on “Disable all.”
- Click on the Startup tab in the “System Configuration” dialog box and tap or click on “Open Task Manager.”
- Go to the Startup tab in “Task Manager” and then select each startup item and click on “Disable.”
- Now close Task Manager and click OK on the Startup tab of the “System Configuration” dialog box.
- Restart your PC in a clean boot environment.
- Perform troubleshooting steps for installing, uninstalling, and running your applications.
- Reset the computer to start normally when you finish your troubleshooting. This action will restore the functionality that was temporarily lost in the clean boot environment.
Check the Disk to fix the error 0xc00007b
Hard drive issue can also cause many bugs and you can fix them by checking your hard drive. Perform the following steps to check your hard disk for issues.
- Click the Start menu and type ‘cmd.’
- Right-click on the Command Prompt. Now select “Run as administrator.”
- In Command Prompt, just type chkdsk c: /f /r and press Enter key. Now, you can check and repair your C drive. For checking another drive, replace c with the letter assigned to that drive.
- If you’ve installed your Windows in C drive, then you’ll see the message “Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.” You’ll also be prompted to press Y or N to provide your input for scheduling the volume to be checked again when the system restarts.
- Type Y and press Enter key.
- Now check whether the application was unable to start correctly (0xc00007b) error is solved or not.
Hopefully, the above solutions will help you to fix the error the application was Unable to start correctly (0xc00007b). If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.