Spotify is one of the most loved audio streaming platform worldwide. The best thing about Spotify is it provides a web-player for browsers so that the users won’t have to download the application.
But recently, plenty of users are reporting, Spotify web player not working problem, some of them reported Spotify not working properly and even some said it is not working at all on different browsers.
So, today in this article, I will describe all the Spotify Web Player issues, reasons why the Spotify Web Player is not working and the solutions to resolve it.
What is Spotify?
Spotify is a Swedish based web player, that allows the users to access more than 50 million songs, videos, and podcasts all over the world without downloading the application on your PC.
Also, the free version of Spotify can be accessed on different platforms like PC, laptops, and mobile phones. It also supports different operating systems like Windows, Mac, Linux as well as Android, and iOS.
However, if you want to access the full services then you require buying the Spotify Premium Subscription.
What does the “Spotify Web Player Not Working” issue means?
Spotify web player not working is a recent issue faced by the users while trying to play music on different web browsers like Google Chrome, Firefox, or Edge.
As per the users they are unable to stream music on Spotify web service. They cannot play any audio and even refresh the page won’t fix the Spotify not playing songs problem.
Even some users reported, Spotify Web Player Not Working at all on Chrome. Well, different users are encountering different issues related to Spotify like
- Spotify web player won’t play
- Spotify keeps crashing
- Spotify can’t play this right now
- Spotify web player not loading
Well, this is very irritating but fortunately can be fixed, there is no such error that can’t be fixed. But first, learn what prevents the Spotify web player from working properly.
Why is Spotify not Working?
Below check out the reasons that triggered the Spotify Web Player Not Working problems:
- Due to the issues with playback or app itself.
- The poor internet connection can also cause Spotify not playing songs.
- Might be your firewall is blocking the Spotify from loading ad playing.
- Due to the cookies and cache files corruption as this stop the website from loading.
- Also if the account is logged across plenty of devices this prevents Spotify from streaming the audio.
- If you are trying running the Spotify web player on the Safari browser then this won’t load as it won’t support the Safari browser, so switch to a different browser.
- Due to the outdated web browser, the Spotify Web Player is not working.
Now let’s head to the fixes to start using Spotify web player again.
How to Fix Spotify Web Player Not Working Problem?
Enable Protected Content
While trying to open the Spotify web player if you are getting the error message “Playback of protected content is not enabled”, the very first try to enable the protected content in your web browser.
Please Note: The steps may differ as per your web browser, currently I am showing the steps for the Google Chrome, and Firefox browser. Follow the steps to do so:
For Google Chrome:
- First, open Chrome and go to the given URL in the address bar: chrome://settings/content.
- Then scroll to Protected content > click on it.
- And enable “Allow site to play protected content (recommended)“.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- First, go to the Spotify Web Player website.
- Then click the icon to the left of the URL bar > click “Turn off Blocking for this site”.
- And after doing so try to run the Spotify web browser and check if the Spotify web player not working issue is resolved or not, if not then follow the next solution.
Check Your Internet Connection
If the internet connection is not working fine then this is what causing the Spotify web player won’t play problem.
And to confirm this, try to access other websites, if other websites are working fine then this is possibly a problem your Spotify or web browser.
But if no other website is working then try to use different Wi-Fi connections or restart the router and modem.
But if you are still unable to use the Spotify web browser then contact your Internet Service Provider.
Disable Your Computer Firewall
It might be that your Windows Firewall is blocking the Spotify web player and therefore the Spotify Web Player is not working on your computer.
So, here you need to turn off the Windows Firewall and check if Spotify starts playing the song. Follow the steps given to do so:
- Click on the Start menu > click on Search > open Control Panel.
- Now, click on System and Security.
- Then Windows Defender Firewall.
- Then from the side menu > click Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off.
- Next press the off button of the firewall for the required network.
- Restart your PC for saving the changes.
I hope now you will be able to fix Spotify web player not working issue.
Clear Cache & Flush DNS
If Spotify is launching fine but getting Spotify web player won’t play songs then flushing the DNS cache on your system works fine.
Doing this will, refresh the DNS cache, and when you log in to Spotify web player next time it starts playing the song as well. Follow the steps to do so:
- Click on Start menu > and in search box type Command Prompt. Open Command prompt right-click on it and Run as administrator.
- Now in the Command Prompt, type the below-given commands and hit Enter:
- And restart your web browser.
Now check if the Spotify not playing songs problem is fixed or not.
Clear Cookies, Browsing History of your browser
Cookies are a piece of information websites stores on the PC or laptop that is used the next time when you access it in the future. But these cookies might get corrupted and as a result, block the website from loading next time.
So, here it is advised to delete the cookies, cache and browsing data as well, as this helps you to fix Spotify crashing problem as well. Follow the steps given to do so:
For Google Chrome:
- Open Google Chrome > open history by pressing Ctrl + H keys.
- Then from left panel click Clear browsing data.
- Here you need to choose the period for which you want to delete the history. Make sure to delete the history as per your requirement for eg. From the beginning, the last 24 hours, the last seven days, etc.
- Next also, checkmark the below-given things:
Cookies and other site data
Cached images and files
- And to delete everything > click on Clear data and wait for the process to complete.
- Lastly, close your web browser > restart your computer.
For Mozilla Firefox:
- Click on the 3-bar menu at the right side corner to open Menu.
- Then in the Privacy & Security section > the under Cookies and site data > click on the Clear Data button.
For Microsoft Edge:
- First, open the Edge browser >and on the top right corner click on the menu button and choose Settings.
- Then scroll down to the Clear Browsing Data and select Choose what to clear.
- And checkmark the first four options.
- Then click on Clear > restart the browser.
- Next, open the Spotify website > and try playing the audio.
Now after restarting the PC, check if the Spotify web player not working issue is fixed, but if not then head to the next solution.
Check if the Web Browser is Outdated
Well, if the web browser is outdated then this might also cause the Spotify web player not loading issue. So here it is advised to update the Google Chrome browser.
Please Note: Here I am showing you how to update Chrome, but before updating it is advised to save the important tabs.
- Open Google Chrome > and at the top right corner click on three dots icon. Then from the menu click on the Help button.
- Under Help option,> click on About Google Chrome.
- If any update is available then Chrome will automatically start updating.
- And as the updates are downloaded > click on the Relaunch button to finish updating Chrome.
- And as you click Relaunch button > Chrome will close automatically and install the updates.
It is estimated now the Spotify web player not working issue is resolved. Now learn how to fix other Spotify issues.
How to Fix Spotify Web Player Won’t Play Songs?
As per some users, the Spotify Web Player is not playing songs and if after following the above fixes you are still dealing with the problem, there here is a quick fix that is worth giving a try.
- Here you need to open Spotify > choose the album you want to play > click the three-dot icon next to the song > choose Copy song link.
- And paste the link into the browser address bar > hit Enter.
I hope now the song start playing. But if this fails, the users reported the issue is caused due to using Spotify across multiple devices.
So here to fix Spotify web player won’t play, you need to try switching between the different devices.
Open Spotify on your phone or tablet > go to Settings > devices >and before selecting the Web player to listen to songs try switching between the different devices displayed
This solutions worked for many users and cause Spotify web player to work properly again. Then in the Spotify Web player at the bottom right corner click the Connect button and check This Web Player option is selected.
Now the Spotify web player does not play songs issue is resolved and you can now enjoy songs on Spotify in Chrome or other browsers in your device.
How to Fix Spotify Web Player Not Working at All?
Few users also complained about the Spotify web player not loading at all. Well it can be caused due to different reasons like cookies in the browser are corrupted, or the browser where you are trying to run is not supported.
Well, you can follow the steps given above to cleat cookies, history, and browsing data. Secondly, you need to verify whether you are using the Safari browser then this is bad news for the Mac users.
The safari browser users won’t use the Spotify web browser anymore. Well, Spotify has officially delivered various updates but ultimately it renders Spotify unusable on the Safari browser.
Nevertheless, it won’t mean Spotify has closed-door completely for the browser but the company confirmed they will let us know in future if there is any future via Spotify community.
Well, the Spotify Web Player might not be the best player but after following the solutions listed above you can make your Spotify error-free and start using it with ease.
I hope the article works for you in solving all your issues with Spotify Web Player and also fix Spotify not working issues in Windows.
Do tell us in the comment section below did you like the article, did it works for you in solving your Spotify online problems. You can also show your love by following, sharing, and liking our Facebook page.
Keep visiting our website to follow more interesting articles guide, how-to tutorials.