The Ultimate Guide to become the Master of Microsoft Edge, Internet Browser
Microsoft is always known for its remarkable products & services and this time, it has brought the revolution in the browsing field by launching Microsoft Edge by replacing with Internet Explorer. Within a short span of time, Microsoft Edge has given a tough competition to the dominator browsers and they are Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox. The salient features and customized options of Edge are marvelous and the same has been highly admired by the Windows 10 users. So, if you want to enjoy the thrill of Microsoft Edge, then get through the amazing tips and tricks to access Edge effectively. But, before heading towards the tips, let’s have a quick glance of Microsoft Edge.
- 1 Microsoft Edge
- 2 Top comprehensive tips and tricks to become a Master of Microsoft Edge
- 2.1 1. To be a Master of Edge begin with the Customization
- 2.2 2. How to customize the Theme in Microsoft Edge
- 2.3 3. Fond of reading? Try Reading Mode of Edge
- 2.4 4. How to Create a Desktop Shortcut for Microsoft Edge
- 2.5 5. Want to highlight the content of the web page? Use the ‘Annotate’ feature of Microsoft Edge
- 2.6 6. How to Import all Bookmarks and Favourites from other browsers in Microsoft Edge
- 2.7 7. How to Open Web Pages with Internet Explorer in Edge
- 2.8 8. Wipe out the Traces | Use Private Mode
- 2.9 9. How to Prevent Browser from Saving Passwords
- 2.10 10. How to use Caret Browsing mode in Microsoft Edge
- 2.11 11. How to Reset Microsoft Edge
- 2.12 12. How to Print a Web Page on Edge
- 3 Microsoft Edge for Mac
- 4 Conclusion
Most of the beginners were curious to know ‘What is Microsoft Edge’. Well, the solution is pretty simple. It is one of the fastest browsers designed and developed by the Microsoft which supports Windows 10 Operating System. Microsoft Edge fulfills the parameters of Web standard and services and hence, offers a wide range of features to the users.
What is Cortana?
Cortana is one of the outstanding virtual agents designed and developed by Microsoft and the purpose for the same is to customize and simplify the work in a convenient way by fetching the relevant information using Bing search engine. This is an inbuilt application in Windows 10. However, if you are an iPhone user and already operated the ‘Siri’, then Cortana will be like a piece of cake for you. But, if you are not aware of Cortana, then don’t worry at all; here you will get the comprehensive way to operate the same.
How to enable/activate Cortana in Windows 10
Generally, Cortana is activated in Windows 10 and featured as a ring at the bottom-left of the windows screen.
However, if you don’t find Cortana symbol at the bottom of the screen, then don’t worry and be prepared to set up. The detailed procedure for the same is listed beneath.
- Click on ‘Windows’ icon and from the list of ‘Apps’ select ‘Cortana’.
- After clicking on Cortana, you will be asked to ‘Sign In’, enter the Microsoft credentials and complete the process.
- After Signing In, you are ready to access ‘Cortana’.
- For Voice features, you need to activate ‘Hey Cortana’ and for the same, open ‘Cortana’ and click on ‘’Setting’ button located at the bottom of the same page.
- Thereafter, a new window will appear which will show ‘Talk to Cortana’, move to the section ‘Hey Cortana’ and turn ON the slide button which shows ‘Let Cortana respond to Hey Cortana’.
Activate Cortana in Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge and then tap on the ‘More’ button, located at the top-right of the page.
- Thereafter, the drop-down menu will feature and you just need to click on ‘Settings’.
- Now, scroll down the ‘Settings’ page and click on ‘Advanced Settings’.
- Here, in this section, you will find several options, move to ‘Privacy and services’ and turn ON the slider ‘Have Cortana assist me in Microsoft Edge’.
Now, you are all set to access Cortana. To be a master of Microsoft Edge, you must know the process of customization and the salient features of Edge. Here, you will find out the easiest way to command Microsoft Edge.
Top comprehensive tips and tricks to become a Master of Microsoft Edge
1. To be a Master of Edge begin with the Customization
The customization is a process which let you change the appearance of the page and allow you to set the page as you wish to see. The other browser lets you change only the theme, but Microsoft Edge enables you to change the start page, new tab and much more. So, get ready to grab this exclusive feature.
2. How to customize the Theme in Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the ‘more’ button located at the top-right of the page.
- Now, select ‘Settings’ from the drop-down menu and then choose the ‘Theme’.
- Here, you will get a few options, the theme for the Edge, how you wish to open the Start page and new tab. Make changes as per your solace and see the difference.
3. Fond of reading? Try Reading Mode of Edge
- Launch Microsoft Edge.
- In the Start page, you will find several features and your task is to click on the ‘book’ icon, located at the extreme right of the address bar.
- After clicking on this, the icon will appear blue which will show that the reading mode is activated and now you can read the content of the site effectively which supports the reading view.
4. How to Create a Desktop Shortcut for Microsoft Edge
Unfortunately, Microsoft Edge does not have an executable (.exe) file to run which is located in the “Target” of the application; however, we can create a shortcut on the browser by following these steps.
- Right-click on the blank area of your desktop.
- Navigate to New and then click on Shortcut.
- In the field next to the “Browse”, you need to enter the following:
- Thereafter, click “Next”
- When a new window opens, enter a name for the shortcut.
- Then click “Finish”
- The icon will give look like a folder but you can change its look.
- To change the look, click on the shortcut right-click and then select the “Properties” option
- And click “Change Icon”
- In the “Search for icons in this file”, enter the following:
- Now press Enter.
- You can Microsoft Edge icon as a shortcut.
- Click on the icon and then click “Apply”.
5. Want to highlight the content of the web page? Use the ‘Annotate’ feature of Microsoft Edge
- Open the website in which you want to highlight or add notes in the Edge.
- Now, click on the ‘Pen’ icon located at the top-right of the page.
- Thereafter, you will find a lot of attractive features, just use them as you want and save the changes.
6. How to Import all Bookmarks and Favourites from other browsers in Microsoft Edge
If you are using other browsers like Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome or Internet Explorer you need not worry about losing your favorites and bookmarks. You can easily import all of them on your Microsoft Edge. All you need to do is:
- Go to the top-right corner of the window and click on Hub.
- Then Click Settings, now select Favourite’s settings, and at last click Import.
It will take some time to import all your favorites and bookmark.
7. How to Open Web Pages with Internet Explorer in Edge
Microsoft Edge is not supporting the plugin named Silverlight, which is used to stream a certain type of media, animations, and graphics, somehow like Adobe Flash. However, Internet Explorer is having an inbuilt Silverlight plugin and you might have to use the explorer to view your web page.
- On the Webpage, click on the main menu
- From drop-down options select Open with Internet Explorer.
8. Wipe out the Traces | Use Private Mode
Like other browsers, Microsoft Edge also offers the private mode option which enables you to access the websites without leaving any trademark. To know more, follow the steps listed beneath and execute the same.
- First of all, open Microsoft Edge.
- Now, click on the ‘more’ icon located at the top-right of the page and is symbolized with three dots.
- Select, ‘New InPrivate Window’ from the drop-down menu.
- That’s it, now access browsing securely.
There are much more extraordinary features of Microsoft Edge and you can explore the same only in Windows 10. Microsoft Edge for Windows 7, 8 & 10, you can experience the features of Edge in Windows 7 & 8 also by updating the present OS to Windows 10. However, if you don’t want to upgrade the Windows and still want to access Microsoft Edge in Windows 7 or 8, then you can use Virtual Machine offered by Microsoft. The application is free and is for the trial period of 90 days.
Well, if you own Mac OS and striving for Microsoft Edge for Mac; then don’t worry there are few tips and tricks which will help you to access the same in your device. Tips and tricks are needed because Edge does not support Mac OS.
9. How to Prevent Browser from Saving Passwords
Microsoft Edge always prompt the user to save username and password so if you visit next time, the browser will help you autofill the login details. This may not be a safe option if you have many users using one system. You can deactivate this feature of saving passwords to avoid any prompts in the future.
- On the top-right corner of the window screen, click on the three dots.
- Click Settings and then select the option Advanced settings.
- Under “Privacy and services”, select “Offer to save passwords”
- Set that option to Off to prevent the browser from saving passwords.
10. How to use Caret Browsing mode in Microsoft Edge
The caret browsing is a feature which enables you to browse any website using your keyboard without using your mouse. A text cursor appears on the web pages by the help of which you can navigate and open links. You need to press the F7 button on the keyboard and then confirm the prompt. Once it is confirmed you can start enjoying this feature.
11. How to Reset Microsoft Edge
There may be times when you will encounter problems with your browser and you need to reset it. You can follow these steps to reset Microsoft Edge.
- On the top-right corner of the window, click three dots.
- Then Click Settings > Clear browsing data > Then Select what to clear > Show more
- Select all listed items and then click “Clear”
- Now, restart your Windows 10 system
- Thereafter, open the fresh Microsoft Edge browser.
12. How to Print a Web Page on Edge
Printing is an amazing and essential feature on a browser. Microsoft Edge provides you with various options to print any web page. All you need to do is:
- On the top-right corner of the window, click on the three dots.
- Click Print.
- Select the option Add a printer.
- There you will find “Add printers & scanners” section.
- Now you have to click “Refresh” if you have already added a printer.
- Now, go back to the previous window and then click on “Print button”.
Microsoft Edge for Mac
- There are two ways to access Edge on Mac OS, either you can use Boot Camp to install Windows on your Mac or else you can go with the Virtual Machine. However, the former method won’t charge you any single penny but the major drawback is the switching task. It means you will have to reboot the device to switch from Windows to Mac OS.
- The latter method will give you the advantage to access both the OS simultaneously, but the major downside is the slow performance of the device as both the OS are running together at the same time. Well, both methods have their merits and demerits. So, you can go with anyone to access Microsoft Edge on Mac OS.
Now, let’s move further and check out the difference between Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge. As both, the browser has its own features, but in most of cases, Microsoft Edge dominates the Google Chrome.
Google Chrome Vs Microsoft Edge
- As per the recent survey, the analyst revealed that “Microsoft Edge is 48 times faster than Google Chrome”.
- The security firms released the report and stated that “Microsoft Edge is the safest browser than Google Chrome”.
- If talked about battery performance, Microsoft Edge stood at the top position by consuming minimum battery than Google Chrome.
- Microsoft Edge offers a lot of variant features as compared to Google Chrome and the same is user-friendly and easy to access.
Common Problems of Microsoft Edge
Apart from the salient features, Edge users mostly face the issue and if you are not familiar with the same, then go through the points listed below to know about the common problems of Microsoft Edge.
- Microsoft Edge running slower than usual
- Edge fails to connect to the Internet.
- Edge Failed to load a webpage.
- Microsoft Edge browser is not accepting the password.
- Cortana is not responding to Edge
- Edge anonymously shows ads.
- Flash Player not working on Edge browser.
These are the common problems of Microsoft Edge and can be fixed with the basic and advanced method depends upon the issue.
Microsoft Edge is the best, fastest and reliable browser which fulfills all the necessity of the user and also satisfies the parameters of the web service. So, access Microsoft Edge and enjoy the web world in a more convenient manner. However, if you are facing any issue which is listed above or other issues which are making you annoyed, then please comment below. Our experts are here to give you a solution within a short span of time. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such guides and tutorials.