When you are working with your laptop and as of a sudden your keyboard keys stopped working. Are you worried that you should replace the keyboard or use another keyboard through external mode (if you are using laptop connected keyboard) via USB? Before going for replacing keyboard first you should try for the solutions in this article, which will help you to fix the keyboard keys not working problem. This will take some of your time and will save the cost of buying a new keyboard. So, before diving into the solutions let us see the reasons behind this error. Keep reading!
- 1 Reasons Behind the Keyboard keys, not Working Error
- 2 Keyboard not Working Error: Solutions
- 2.1 Restart your Keyboard to fix keys on the keyboard not working issue
- 2.2 Press Keys Diagonally
- 2.3 Function Keys not Working
- 2.4 Number Pad is not Working
- 2.5 How to check your Device in Safe Mode
- 2.6 How to fix keys on Keyboard not working error using Keyboard Driver
- 2.7 Re-Mapping to fix Keyboard keys not working error
- 3 Conclusion
Reasons Behind the Keyboard keys, not Working Error
You are working on your laptop or computer and all of a sudden, the “I” key stops working or maybe a whole section of keys is taking too long to respond. Worse yet, the keyboard cuts out entirely. While this can be a hassle, particularly when you have work due and a lot of work pressure, there are a few things you can try yourself to get back to the job immediately. Before going to the solutions lets see the reasons behind this error.
Sometimes a low battery can affect the functionality of the laptop keyboard under circumstances like wireless desktop keyboards. If you are running an application even after pop – up of low – battery warning the keyboard may become unresponsive. To fix this type of problem, connect your laptop to a power plug – in or use the USB wired keyboard or use a laptop attached keyboard. For wireless keyboards during low – battery alert this solution will help you to fix the issue.
A dirty keyboard is nothing but dust, dirt, hair and other debris contents present under the key may obstruct key’s movement. It also interferes with its circularity. Try to remove the key that isn’t working with the help of instructions provided online. After taking off the key carefully clean the entire bust with a neat cloth and fix the key. Hope this will help to work keyboard keys normally if the problem is due to the dust.
In Certain Programs
Some of the keys may not work in some of the programs of software you are using. Check whether the keys are working other than those programs. If they are working other than those programs, your keyboard is working perfectly and you may not worry about it. Mainly function keys will not work in certain programs. Check the functionality of the keys in programs like notepad, word processor and internet browser. If they are working fine in any of them there is no problem with your keyboard.
Firmware and low – level hardware problem will interfere with the keyboard functionality. In some cases, this causes faulty keyboard PRAM settings. In some of the instances, USB ports stop working and result in SMC settings. You have to reset PRAM and SMC settings to fix the issue. If you are using USB port keyboard try with other USB ports, if the whole keyboard stops working.
Not only firmware settings, ensure that your keyboard having the latest firmware installed in your system. These will be available with your system software updates. If the problem is regarding updates of the keyboard, this can be fixed by installing the updates. Still, the problem persists? Then give a try for the other solutions.
Program or Driver Interface
In case you are using a Windows operating system, you can check your keys functionality in safe mode. Why in safe mode? Because in safe mode no extra programs will run and you can understand the problem. It will be clear that your device drivers or some other programs recently installed are causing the problem. If your keyboard is working fine in safe mode, consequently the problem is with one of your recently installed program or driver causing the problem.
Keyboard not Working Error: Solutions
Are you worried that you should replace the keyboard or use another keyboard through external mode (if you are using laptop connected keyboard) via USB? Before going for replacing keyboard first you should try for the solutions in this article, which will help you to fix the keyboard keys not working problem. Keep reading……
Restart your Keyboard to fix keys on the keyboard not working issue
In some of the cases, the problem is temporary with your computer that leads to keyboard keys not working issue. Hence, the problem persists just for the time being. Eventually, if the problem is related to the temporary system problem it will be fixed on restarting.
Shut down your system, unplug the power, and remove the battery. Leave the laptop for a couple of minutes and insert the battery. Plug–in power plug and switch on your system. If the problem is related to temporary issue hope the issue will fix.
Press Keys Diagonally
You can also try this simple step of typing keys diagonally all the sides and edges of the key and hold it for some time. Later release the key and check whether the issue is fixed. Sometimes this simple trick will help to fix the issue and makes the keys to work normally.
Function Keys not Working
If the function keys on your keyboard are not working, the problem will be with function lock or F–lock. For some of the keyboards, there is a function lock key which locks the function keys from F 1 to F 12. It may have accidentally pressed and you may not aware of it. Just press the function lock or F–lock key which helps you to fix the problem.
Below is the image of different keyboards which shows the function lock key.
Number Pad is not Working
If the number pad keys are not working or working oddly, here the problem is with key lock. Considering the above situation the problem is with the number padlock key. You have to press the number pad key and check whether the light for num lock is off. Else you can check with typing the keys in word pad or in your browser whether the problem is fixed or not.
How to check your Device in Safe Mode
- Go to the start button or Windows icon on your desktop.
- Type msconfig in the search box.
- Open the first icon in the list as shown in the figure.
- A pop–up window opens and go to boot category from the menu as shown in the figure.
- Under boot category select Safe boot.
- Now click apply and later click on ok button.
- Here you will get a pop–up window, select the restart button.
- Your system will restart now and opens in safe mode.
- Check the keys working in the note pad or word pad.
- After checking keys in order to turn off safe mode, go to msconfig from the Windows start button.
- Go to the boot category and deselect the safe mode option.
- Press on the apply button and click on ok button.
- As a result, pop – up window opens to restart your system.
- Click on the restart and so that your system starts normally.
How to fix keys on Keyboard not working error using Keyboard Driver
For some of the reasons the keyboard driver goes wrong, to fix these type of issues you need to uninstall and reinstall keyboard drivers.
Follow below steps to uninstall keyboard drivers but you need to have the keyboard drivers ready to reinstall it.
- Click on the start button.
- Go to control panel
- Further select hardware and sound option.
- On the next window, under devices and printers select device manager.
- You have another option to type device manager in the Windows start menu. Click on device manager from the list both take you to the same window.
- Now, on the device manager window if you don’t find the keyboard driver.
- From the menu, category click on view.
- Under the list select show hidden devices.
- As a result, you can see keyboard drivers click on it.
- You will find driver under the keyboard, right click on it and from the list of options select uninstall.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the drivers.
- Again perform a restart to your computer.
- The keyboard should work perfectly without any issues. If not then the issue is with some other problem. Try other solutions to fix the issue.
Re-Mapping to fix Keyboard keys not working error
It only works for some of the keys, if the whole keyboard goes wrong and not working. This solution will not help you out, so try solutions. But if the problem is with some of the keys then this solution will definitely help you out. You need not to buy a new keyboard, it saves your money, and saves your time.
- Sharpkeys is one of software that will do the mapping to your keys. The below images and procedure will help you in how to use it.
- Download sharp keys by searching in your browser.
- If the folder is a zip file, initially extract the files to your convenient location or to the same folder.
- Here, click on the extracted .exe file of sharp keys.
- You will get a pop–up window to give permission as it is from an unknown publisher.
- Click on yes button if you are ok on giving permissions to unknown publisher else click no button.
- If you click YES button a new window opens as shown in the figure.
- Click on the ADD button to re-map your keys.
- On the next window, you can see map this key, to this key options. Just choose the key you want to replace from the left panel and choose the problematic key from the right panel. If you have any problem in searching a key type the key for left panel and choose the key from the right panel which to replace. Finally, click on the ok button to add key successfully. As a result, your remapping of the key is done which will display on the screen.
- As long as you don’t click on write to the registry the key remap will not save. Click on write to the registry to save changes to your system keyboard.
- Restart your system to apply necessary changes.
NOTE: This solution will definitely work for some of the keys to remap. But you have to own risk as the sharp keys software is from an unknown publisher and some of the websites will contain malware or virus software. Be aware of it.
Hopefully, this article helped you to fix keyboard keys not working issue. Are you still facing any issues while working out any of the solutions? Write to us in the comment section and we will help you out with the best suitable solution for you. If you have queries regarding laptops, Android, and any other issues with electronic gadgets. Feel free to visit our website or comment us and we will help you out in solving your problem.