While launching any video game or program, you may come across DirectDraw error or Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll on Windows. You need not worry about Ddraw error as we are here to provide you the possible solutions to fix the problem. Some of the graphics programs in your system also require DirectDraw. While opening such programs, you may come across the error. To know in detail about Ddraw error along with solutions, continue reading.
What is Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll or DirectDraw error on Windows?
DirectDraw is a component of DirectX; it is used by most of the Windows games and the graphics programs. This error can appear irrespective of the Windows version while using the video games as this file is mostly used by the video games. These errors can be seen at any time during the game however, most of the users reported these errors during the startup of the video games.
You can come across DirectX error popping up with some changes in the messages to let you know about the issue. If the error shows up with Ddraw, irrespective of the message, you can go through the below solutions to fix the issue. Usually, the users encountered these error messages displayed on their screen during this error:
Why Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll or DirectDraw error occurs on Windows?
You can know the reasons for the occurrence of Ddraw error to apply a particular solution for the fix the issue.
- You can face the issue in your system due to the malfunctioning of the operation.
- The virus attack in your system may cause an error in DirectDraw.
- The registry values error of DirectX may also result in throwing an error DirectDraw.
- Do you know? Improper shutdown of the Windows may cause the error due to sudden power off. You need to restart your system to fix the issues related to this kind.
- Accidental deleting of the file DirectDraw or related file that can cause the error.
- If the system suddenly stops the functioning of the operation related to DirectDraw, it causes the error. Mainly, this type of issue occurs in stopping the process using the task manager. You have to either close and open the program or restart the system to fix the issue.
How to fix DirectDraw error or Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll error on Windows?
You can fix the Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll or DirectDraw Windows 10 issue on following the below solutions. Try one by one solution because the solution varies from one system to another system. As the issue occurrence varies and you need to try all to help you out to fix the issue.
Restart your Computer
As we all know that most of the errors are of a temporary nature and occurs due to some minor issues. Performing a simple restart of your system can fix the issue. The inappropriate file opening or closing errors are successful fixes on applying this tip.
You have to perform an antivirus check in your system to remove the malware or virus present in your system. The presence of malware may hinder the performance of the system operations and may raise the error. On performing a virus scan, it will help you to perform find the virus and to remove them completely.
Run SFC Scan
This error can be occurred due to some corrupted files also. This error can be fixed by repairing those corrupt files. To do so follow these steps:
- Press Windows+X keys to open the Command Prompt. Select Command Prompt(Admin) to open the Prompt.
- Type DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth to run the DISM tool and press Enter key.
- Now type sfc /scannow and press Enter.
- Wait for some time to complete the process and then restart the computer and check for the error.
Download & Install Latest Version of Ddraw File
If none of the above updating processes work for you. It’s better to download and to install the latest version.
- You have to open the browser, search for DirectX (ddraw download).
- Always choose the software downloads from trustworthy sites to avoid entering of foreign invaders.
- Download from the site and click on the file.
- You have to follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation.
- Restart your system and start your work. I hope you are not coming up with DirectDraw error.
Re-register the Ddraw File
To fix the error re-register the ddraw file. You can re-register the ddraw file with regsvr32 tool with the Command Prompt by following these steps:
- Press the Cortana button and type “cmd” in the search box. Right-click on the command prompt and select Run as Administrator.
- Type regsvr32 /u ddraw.dll in the prompt window and press Enter.
- Now type regsvr32 ddraw.dll and press Enter to re-register the ddraw file.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
As you all know that Rollbacking the driver is selecting the previous version of Driver. It also helps the situation at some time. Some times the update process of Driver got interrupted due to some issues and the files of Driver couldn’t be updated properly or the new updates might have some compatibility issue with your Windows version depending on the system configuration. In such a case if you try to run the game or some application there are chances that you may encounter this error. To fix this error you need to Rollback Driver to its previous version which was working properly on your system. To do so follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start menu and click Device Manager.
- From the results select Display Adaptors and click on it to see the further drivers which are installed inside.
- Right-click on the problematic driver and open properties.
- Under the properties, select Rollback Driver. And click OK to confirm changes.
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Update Graphics Driver
On updating the driver manually, it helps you to fix the Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll or DirectDraw error. Sometimes, the outdated driver causes the issue; if the above solutions didn’t work try this one.
- You need to click on the Windows key on the keyboard and then Search for Device Manager and click on it.
- On the new window, navigate to Display Adapters.
- Click on the Driver relative to DirectX. Right-click the corresponding driver and choose the update option.
- Wait till the completion of the updating process. And then you need to restart your system before opening the program that caused the error.
Enable DirectDraw Manually
You can disable or enable DirectDraw using the following steps. It will surely help to restart services and to fix the error.
Older version of Windows
- Click Windows + R button simultaneously to open the Run dialogue box and then enter dxdiag and click on the OK button.
- You need to choose the buttons next to DirectDraw to disable or enable.
- Go to the Programs & Features section in Control Panel.
- You have to choose Windows Features Turn ON or OFF.
- You have to expand the legacy components and untick the DirectPlay.
- Finally, click on the OK button.
Note: If the DirectDraw is in the disabled state, enable it, restart your computer, and open the program that caused the error. If the feature is already in enable state, disable it, restart. Next, follow the same procedure to enable, and restart.
Modify Compatible Settings
The DirectDraw helps you to display the apps or games to view in full screens. The incompatible screen resolutions may encounter you with the Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll error. On adjusting the compatibility settings, you can get rid of the DirectDraw issue.
- You have to right-click on the game or app that you are facing the problem. Choose the properties option.
- Go to the compatibility tab, under settings, 640×480 resolution screen and you need to up-tick checkbox option. Then save the options and close all the windows.
Now, open the program which is causing an error. I hope, you didn’t face the error. You can follow the below instructions if you are facing the issue.
- Follow the above steps and open properties.
- Navigate to compatibility mode, uptick for compatibility mode, and check the drop-down options. You need to choose according to your operating system like Windows 7. Save the changes and close all the Windows.
- Now, open the program that causing the DirectDraw error.
You need to perform a Windows update. It mostly helps you to fix the Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll or DirectDraw error. On performing Windows update all the software and drivers get updated.
- Click on the Windows button, search for Windows update.
- On the opened new window, choose check for updates option.
- Wait till the system searched for the update. Important thing is that you need to connect to the active internet connection. To avoid hindrance to the installations, you need to have sufficient internet balance.
- After completion of checking for updates, you will get the install now button. Click on it to complete installations.
- It takes a long time depending on the updates the system needs to complete. Later, restart your system and hope it fixed the issue.
Hopefully, the above solutions have helped you to fix the Microsoft.directx.directdraw.dll error. In case, if you have any queries related to the same issue or other. You can contact us through the comment section and let us know which method worked for you? Wanna some more DeviceTricks? Stay tuned to this space to get the latest updates on errors related to Windows, macOS, and Android.