Are you facing Vertical Lines on the monitor of your PC? Need not to panic, you have landed at the correct place. In this guide, I will show the best possible and practical solutions to fix the Vertical Lines on Screen of your computer. Before diving into the solutions let’s see the probable causes of this error. Keep reading!
- 1 Reasons behind “Vertical Lines on Screen” Error
- 1.1 Vertical lines on the screen error: Solutions
- 1.1.1 Update the Device drivers
- 1.1.2 Fix Blue vertical lines on screen by restarting the PC
- 1.1.3 Check screen resolution
- 1.1.4 How to fix vertical lines on a computer screen by updating video card?
- 1.1.5 How to fix vertical lines on the monitor by downgrading the video card driver?
- 1.1.6 Use Display Quality Troubleshooter
- 1.1.7 How to fix vertical lines on the screen by performing a Clean Boot?
- 1.1.8 Other fixes
- 1.1 Vertical lines on the screen error: Solutions
- 2 Conclusion
Reasons behind “Vertical Lines on Screen” Error
Mostly the issue is due to hardware failure or graphics card problem. Damage in the screen can also be the culprit here. Mostly the error may be due to the compatibility issue of the software or may be a hardware problem. So, before applying any technique, it is very important to know whether it is a hardware problem or software issue. You should reboot the system. When you reboot it, you should observe the screen very carefully because on the first screen appearing on the system, you will find a specific key that would take you to BIOS settings of your system. It may be F11, F8 or this kind of any other key depending upon the manufacturer of your system. Promptly, press that specific key to enter to BIOS settings. Let me tell you one thing that BIOS has no link with the Operating System. So, if you notice the vertical lines are still appearing while you have entered the BIOS, it means the problem is related to the hardware only. If you don’t see vertical lines in BIOS, then it shows that it is a software issue.
Vertical lines on the screen error: Solutions
The vertical lines on the monitor appear from top to bottom on the screen. You can usually see the multi-colored or blue vertical lines on the screen.
Update the Device drivers
If the issue is software-related, it may be due to outdated or incompatible drivers. Fortunately, if that is the case, solving this issue is pretty easy. Follow the below steps to fix this issue:
- Go to the official website of your PC’s manufacturer.
- Search for the Support or Downloads page on the website.
- Locate your drivers as per your model.
- Download and install the latest version of display drivers.
- Restart your PC and check if it solved the issue.
Fix Blue vertical lines on screen by restarting the PC
- Press the power button on your PC.
- You need to either press a single button or a combination of buttons to go to BIOS setup. The key combination can be F1, F2 or F3, Esc key or Delete key. It is mostly displayed on the startup screen of your PC.
- Once you find the right keys for your PC press the key once the first screen appears on the screen. You might hear a beep sound or message to indicate that you are in BIOS setup.
Check screen resolution
By adjusting the screen display setting, you can obtain the best display.
- Click on the start button.
- Go to Control Panel->Appearance and Personalization.
- Select Adjust screen resolution.
- Go to Resolution and click on the drop-down arrow.
- Select the resolution that is the marked “recommended.” The recommended resolution is the best resolution for your PC.
- Click on Apply and ok. Check if it resolves the issue. Else, try the next step.
How to fix vertical lines on a computer screen by updating video card?
Step 1. Go to Start menu ->Control Panel ->Device Manager.
Step 2. Select Universal Serial Bus Controllers option. It will expand to show more options.
Step 3. Check whether there is any device with below indications:
- Yellow exclamation mark
- Question mark
- Error notification or code
- Down-arrow mark
Step 4. If you see any error message on the device, then double click on it and open Properties.
Step 5. Under the Drivers tab, select Update Driver.
Note: Windows will search for the right driver and update it.
How to fix vertical lines on the monitor by downgrading the video card driver?
- Go to Start menu ->Control Panel ->Device Manager.
- Select Display Adapters and right click on it to select Properties.
- Check the version. Search for the previous version and install on your PC.
Use Display Quality Troubleshooter
Display Quality Troubleshooter tool searches and locates the display problems like vertical lines on your computer screen.
- Go to the Start menu and then select Control Panel.
- Click “View by” on the right side corner of the screen and click “Large icons”
- Now Click on Display and select View All from the left panel of the screen.
- Click on Display Quality and type the admin password when prompted.
- Repeat the steps of Solution (3) in my blog and check if it fixes the problem.
How to fix vertical lines on the screen by performing a Clean Boot?
By performing Clean Boot, the computer can eradicate the software errors that can cause the issue of Startup Repair incompatibility with the OS (operating system). Usually, the applications and services that run in the background during the startup can be responsible for these errors. To perform this step, you need to log in as the Administrator.
- Go to the Start menu and enter “msconfig” in the search box.
- Click on System Configuration and select Services tab.
- Click on the checkbox that says “Hide all Microsoft services” and then click “disable all” button.
- Now, go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager.
- Close the Task Manager and then press ok.
- Reboot your PC.
- Put gentle pressure on the screen and check if the lines appear are multicolored and changes its width. If this is the case then, there are chances that there is some issue with your LCD screen of your PC. Confirm this and replace your screen.
- Switch off your PC and unplug all the connections. Try pressing and holding the power button on your PC for 15 to 20 seconds. This will remove all the remaining or residual power from your PC. Sometimes, the monitor will be short-circuited by receiving the PC’s excess power. Then, reconnect all the peripherals and switch on the PC to check if it has fixed the issue.
Try any of my solutions at home if you encounter vertical lines on your computer screen. If none of them works, it is better to contact a professional to check your PC. If you feel this article helpful please like, share and follow our facebook page and keep visiting our website for such tutorials and guides.