Have you come across “Print Screen not working” while trying to capture a screenshot on your Windows 10 via Print Screen (PrtSc) key? Then rest assured as you are not alone, many Windows 10 users are encountering Print Screen function suddenly stops working, and complaining about the error on the forum threads.
Well, this is really very disturbing but is a common issue, and if you are also dealing with the Windows 10 screen capture not working problem or Print Screen key doesn’t work anymore, then, fortunately, you are at the right place.
In this article you will learn how to fix the print screen button not working issue and as well as how to take a screenshot on Windows 10, if you not well aware of how to do so.
But just before diving into the fixes, learn more about the Print Screen or PrtSc button.
What is PrintScreen Button & Ways it can be Used?
The Print Screen key saves the bitmap image of the present screen or in simple words, the PrintScreen button is used to capture screenshots to the Windows clipboard, by pressing the Alt key + Print Screen or PrtSc key.
And it will capture the currently selected window. You can now paste the screenshot in any application like Adobe Photoshop, Microsoft Paint, etc. and save the image.
However, despite screen capturing the Prt Sc button is also used to turn on a high contrast mode by pressing the left Shift + left Alt + Print Screen Keys.
Also in Windows 10 and Windows 8 as well, pressing the Windows Key + PrtSc key to capture the screenshot and save the screenshot in the disk (default image location).
Nevertheless, it is clear the Print Screen key is very useful, but as said above, in many cases the Print screen button doesn’t work in Windows 10 for many users.
So let’s have a look, what causes the issues, and later will follow the fixes.
Why is My Print Screen not working in Windows 10?
Well, the Windows 10 Print Screen not working issue appears due to several unexpected reasons like:
- Interference of the third party applications
- Outdated or incorrect drivers are installed for keyboard
- If the F mode key or F Lock key on your keyboard is enabled, then this prevents from taking a screenshot
- If your Windows is outdated
- Or due to security policy.
So these are some of the common reasons responsible for the Print Screen not working Windows 10 issue.
Now learn how to fix the problem and start taking a screenshot in Windows 10.
What to Do if Your Print Screen Key is Not Working in Windows 10?
As said above there is no any particular reason responsible for the Print Screen button, not working problem, so here you need to the given possible workarounds for the problem:
Well, without getting confused, very first learn how to take screenshots on Windows 10. Doing this not only allows you to capture screen on Windows 10 computer but also fixes the problem with Windows 10 Print screen not working.
- Very first check if your keyboard is connected properly and next restart your PC.
- Then after restarting, press Windows Key + PrtSc key and check if the print screen key works.
- If not then press Print Screen (PrtSc) key > open Paint > and paste the captured screenshot using Ctrl + V keys.
- If it still not working, then press Fn + PrtSc button and check if the print screen doesn’t work the problem is resolved but if not then Relax, move forward and follow the next solution.
Stop Background Running Programs
Well, as mentioned already, many applications running the background like Dropbox, OneDrive, Snippet Tool, etc. can cause the Print Screen key issue and prevent taking screenshots on your computer/laptop.
So, here it is suggested to check if these programs are running in the background then close them. Follow the steps given to do so:
- First, press Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys > to open Task Manager.
- Then, right-click on the Programs > and choose End Task to close them. Now the programs are closed, try to use screenshot hotkey in Windows 10.
- Check If the F Mode or F Lock Key on the Keyboard is enabled. Check there is F Mode key or F Lock key on the keyboard then this is what blocks the Print Screen key from taking a screenshot on Windows 10.
- And it causes the Print Screen not working Windows 10 problem, so to enable or allow the Printscreen key to work again, press the F Lock key or F Mode key again.
Update Keyboard Driver
As mentioned already the outdated or incorrect keyboard driver can cause the Windows 10 Print Screen not working problem.
So, in this situation try to update your keyboard driver to get rid of the problem. Follow the steps given to do so:
- Press Windows + X keys > and from the list appeared to choose Device Manager to open it.
- Now expand Keyboards directory and right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard > choose Update driver.
- And choose ‘Search automatically for updated driver software‘ > wait for Windows to search and install the latest driver automatically.
- After completing the whole process > restart your PC and check if you can fix the Prtsc button doesn’t work anymore problem is resolved.
But if still facing the problem then try to update the keyboard driver again, by following the steps given below.
- Here you need to visit the driver’s manufacturer website then download the essential drivers. Check if the downloaded file is compressed> then extract the driver file.
- And after that > open Device Manager > expand Keyboards > right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard > and select Update driver.
- Then select ‘Browse my computer for driver software‘.
- And click on ‘Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer‘.
- Lastly, from the list choose the new driver > click Next.
- And restart the PC to save the changes.
Now try to capture the screenshot using the Print Screen key and check if the Print Screen not working Windows 10 issue is fixed.
Run Hardware Troubleshooter for Keyboard
The Windows 10 operating system has many inbuilt troubleshooters to overcome the common Windows problems.
So, you can run the inbuilt hardware troubleshooter as the problem might be related to the wrongly configured keyboard. Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows key > and in search box type Troubleshoot > then in the list appeared to click on Troubleshoot Settings.
- And in the right side of the window > locate the Keyboard and click on Run this troubleshooter.
Next, follow the onscreen instruction for completing the troubleshooting process
And after completing the scanning process, verify whether the Print Screen command starts working in Windows 10.
Update your Windows 10 OS
Updating Windows 10 is always a good idea to fix various problems, so here check if your Windows 10 is up-to-date or not.
So else update Windows 10 with the latest update by following the steps listed below:
- Press Windows Key + I > open Settings > next click on Update & Security.
- Now under Update status > click on Check for updates option. If any update is available for your PC/Laptop > then install the update.
- And then restart your PC.
Make Use of the Hotkey Combination
Well, there are certain screenshot hotkey in Windows 10 then you can give a try if pressing the PrtSc key won’t work for you.
Try the below-given combination of hotkeys:
- Press Alt key + PrintScreen key: This will capture presently selected window and allow saving the screenshot via paint or any other editing application.
- Press WinKey + PrintScreen key: it will save the image to the disk’s default image location.
- Else use Fn + WinKey + PrintScreen if using laptops.
Use the Snipping Tool
If none of the above-given fixes works for you to solve Windows 10 Print Screen not working problem and capture a screenshot on your computer, then use the alternative – Snipping Tool.
Well, this is a Windows in-built tool that allows you to take a screenshot of the currently active portion of the complete screen. Follow the steps given to use it:
- Hit Windows + S keys > and in the search box,> type snipping tool > from the list click the on the app to start it.
- Now click Mode and from the pop-up menu, select a proper snipping mode.
It is expected now you can start using the Print Screen command in Windows 10 without any issue.
So, this is all about the Print Screen button not working problem in Windows 10. I hope the solution mentioned works for you but if not then the problem might be with your keyboard, so try using another external keyboard.
Well, I tried my best to out down entire possible working solutions, but if there is anything that I missed out then feel free to share with us in the comment section below.