While making a video call did you stumble upon microphone not working problem on your Windows 10 PC/laptop? Wondering what went wrong why is the Mic not working and how to fix Mic not working Windows 10 problem?
Then you are at the right place, in this article you will find out the complete information related to the internal microphone not working issue in Windows 10 as well as the possible solutions that worked for many users, so keep reading the article.
Well, Microphone issues are not new, since, after the release of Windows 10, many users reported that microphone isn’t working on their PC or laptop when they moved on Windows 10 OS. Whereas some reported that after installing the latest Windows 10 updates mic stopped working on their machine.
This is really a very frustrating issue but can be fixed after following the possible solutions, so let’s get started.
Why Microphone is Not Working in Windows 10?
Well, Windows 10 not hear your microphone’s sound due to many unexpected reasons. So, here check out some of the possible reasons:
- If the webcam is disabled in settings
- The Microphone is disabled in the privacy settings
- Due to the outdated audio drivers
- If the microphone is not set as the default then may cause the issues
- Also if you have connected the headset or USB microphone then check if it is not configured properly.
So, these are some of the possible reasons responsible for the Windows 10 microphone not working problem now follow the fixes given one by one accordingly to fix the issue
How Do I Fix My Microphone Not Working Windows 10 Error?
Before heading towards the fixes check if you are using an external microphone, then check the microphone itself. Also, connect it to another device and check if the microphone is working or not then repair it or switch it to the new one.
Moreover, if the internal microphone not working Windows 10 then follows the solutions given below
Allow the Microphone in Windows 10 Settings
Very firstly, check if the microphone is enabled in the Windows 10 settings. But if not then enable the microphone on Windows 10. Here learn how do I enable my microphone on windows 10.
I hope this works for you to fix the mic not working Windows 10 error.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Win+ X > select Settings.
- Now click on Privacy.
- Next, select the Microphone.
- And turn on the Allow apps to access your microphone option and toggle it if off.
- And if it is turned on and still Microphone audio service not running, then try the next solution.
Try Setting Microphone as Default Device
If you haven’t set your microphone as the default recording device, then this is what causing the Microphone audio service not running problem.
Here follow the steps to set it as a default device:
- Press Win+ R > to open the Run window > and in the Run dialog box type mmsys.cpl
- Now choose the Recording tab > then right-click on your inbuilt microphone > and select Set as the default device.
- After that restart your system to save the changes.
Verify the Microphone Driver
As mentioned in the audio drivers are outdated, then this can be the reason for the microphone not working Windows 10.
It might happen some of the system audio drivers are not compatible with your Windows 10 system, and this is what causing the microphone related issues.
So, follow the steps to update the driver:
- First right-click on Start> in search box type Device Manager > open Device Manager.
- Now click Audio inputs and outputs option to expand the section.
- Then right-click Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio)> select properties.
- Then in General tab > if it confirms “This device is not working properly”, then go to the Driver tab.
- And then select Update Driver.
- Lastly, restart your computer.
Now, test microphone Windows 10 is working or not, or else head to next solution.
In Device Manager Re-enable mic
This solution worked for many users to fix the internal microphone not working in Windows 10. So follow the steps to disable and re-enable the microphone from Device Manager:
Follow the steps given:
- Press the Windows + R and in the Run dialog box > type devmgmt.msc > click OK.
- Then in the window appears > double-click the Audio inputs and outputs entry > and in the drop-down locate your mic device.
- Right-click on your mic > select Disable device.
- And wait for a couple of minutes.
- Again right-click on your mic > choose Enable device following the same process.
Now test microphone windows 10 and check if the mic starts working on Windows 10.
Change the Privacy Settings
If you are encountering the Windows 10 Microphone not working after installing the Windows 10 update or another system update, so here you need to check and modify the privacy settings.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press the Windows key + I > to open the Settings window > choose Privacy.
- Now in window open go to the Microphone tab, > click Change.
- Check if the button for Microphone access for this device was set to Off, then simply turn it on.
- You can see another button for Allow apps to access your microphone > check if it is set to off then turn it on.
- Now go down and move to Choose which apps can access your microphone > assure all the apps you require can access the mic.
I hope this works for you to resolve the internal microphone doesn’t work on Windows 10, but if not then head to the next solution.
Turn off Audio Enhancements
Well, the Audio Enhancement is used for improving the sound experience in the PC/laptop, but sometimes this feature causes the microphone related issues, so here it is suggested to disable the microphone not working Windows 10 error.
Follow the steps given to do so:
- First right-click on the speaker icon in the bottom right corner. You can also open Sound from Control Panel.
- Go to Recording tab > right-click the microphone > select its Properties.
- Now click Enhancements tab > tick mark the Disable all sound effects options.
- Lastly, click OK for saving the changes.
Run the Troubleshooter
Well if none of the above-given fixes works for you to gets your microphone to work on Windows 10 PC then try running the inbuilt audio troubleshooter, this helps you to fix various system-related issues.
Follow the steps to run it
- Open Windows Settings and click on Update & Security.
- Then click on Troubleshoot.
- Now choose Recording Audio > click on Run the troubleshooter.
- And follow the onscreen instruction and wait to complete the scanning process.
- Restart your PC/laptop.
And check if your laptop microphone starts working on Windows 10.
Check the Pre-installed Audio Software
This is the last possible solution that you need to try, if still you are unable to fix microphone isn’t working on Windows 10 problem. Here you need to connect the headset to see if the microphone start working.
These days, many latest Windows 10 systems come pre-installed by the manufacturer with the audio software such as Realtek Audio Manager, Alienware Audio, Dell Audio, and others.
So, here you need to check the preinstalled audio software and check if it is configured correctly on your Windows 10. Below check out steps given for some of the highly popular Audio managers
Please Note: If in case the audio manager installed on your system is not mentioned below, then simply visit its manufacturer website and check the settings there.
The Realtek Audio Manager
Most of the system includes the Realtek Audio Manager as the default audio device and is a highly popular and stable audio manager.
Follow the steps to check it settings
- Press Windows + S and in the search bar type, Realtek Audio > and open the Realtek Audio Manager. You can also search for Voice Recorder to open the same.
- Well, if you having a desktop, you can see two options there. One for the port at the front of the computer, and second for a port on the rear. But this may vary as in some desktop this option is not available.
- Now plug the headphone or headset in one port > test your microphone with the microphone button in front of the Recording Volume button. And set it as default device > hit OK (you can follow the steps to set it as default from 2nd solution).
- But if you are running a laptop, then check properly if the volume is set right and test microphone Windows 10. After doing so, save the changes and close everything.
It is expected; now check your microphone start working on Windows 10 PC/laptop.
The Alienware Audio
The Alienware audio also comes preinstalled in many Alienware laptops by the manufacturer. This also good and allow you to control audio and also configure as per our need.
But many users complained when they use headphones with a mic into their PC, the headset is not recognized by the PC. So here, follow the steps change some of its settings and fix microphone not working problem as well.
- Press Windows + S > in the search box > type “Alienware Audio” > open Alienware Audio manager
- As it is opened >go to the Advanced tab in new window open > and click on the submenu of “Jack Information”.
- Next, you can see a checkbox showing “Enable auto popup dialogue when a device has been plugged in” click on it.
- And connect the headset, and a new popup window appears showing which device did you plug in > select “Headset (with microphone)” > OK.
- Next also click on the button showing “Set default device” at the bottom of the popup windows if you plug the same device regularly.
Now test your microphone is enabled on Windows 10 and hopefully, the mic on your headset starts working now.
Microphones are really very useful to carry out various functions but many times users start facing various Mic issues in Windows 10.
So, here in this article, I tried my best to list down the complete possible solutions to fix the microphone not working on Windows 10 problem.
Make sure to follow the solution carefully and get your microphone working on Windows 10 machine again.
It is expected the article turns out to use for you, but if there is anything that is missed out or you have any questions related to one presented, feel free to write to us in the comment section below.
You can also follow, like, and share our Facebook page and keep visiting our website to learn interesting articles, how-to tutorials, news, and much more.
Leave a Reply