Windows is the most demanding Operating System and highly admired by the users due to its outstanding features. But sometimes, error code 0x80073712 makes the user annoyed. Well, the good news is the error can be resolved. So, if you are facing any issue, then go through the detailed solution listed below.
Before moving further, let’s see the reason behind the ‘Windows update error code 0x80073712’. The actual reason will enable you to execute the appropriate solution to the issue. Now, go through the next stanza and explore the causes behind an issue.
Why error code 0x80073712 appears on my computer screen?
The ‘Windows update error code 0x80073712’ states that the update files are missing. Generally, Windows update its applications and inbuilt features periodically, but sometimes the update files get corrupted or found missing and thus led to an issue.
How to fix Windows update error code 0x80073712?
Finally, you know the reason which creates an issue and now it’s time to execute the solution. There are few advanced troubleshooting steps that will enable you to resolve an issue in an effective manner.
1] Allow Windows to troubleshoot the updating issue
Windows 10 is designed in a splendid way and has the capacity to fix the issue and one such feature is the ‘Troubleshoot’. The prime aim of this feature is to detect the issue and fix it immediately. Now, let’s see how to execute the ‘Troubleshoot’ feature of Windows 10.
- Click on the ‘Start’ menu and select ‘Settings’ from the featured applications. It is located just above the ‘power’ menu and is symbolized with a gear icon.
- Thereafter, a ‘Setting’ page will appear on the screen which will show some features, scroll down the page and select ‘Update and Security’.
- Soon, you will find yourself on the Windows update page and it will show some relevant features on the left side of the page. Select ‘Troubleshoot’.
- In the ‘Troubleshoot’ page, you will get several options, scroll down the page and select ‘Windows Update’.
- After clicking on the ‘Windows Update’ icon, you will find the ‘Run the troubleshooter’ button, click on it and then follow the on-screen instructions.
2] Scan your system files using System File Checker
The system file checker or SFC is an inbuilt tool of Windows, whose prime role is to repair the corrupt system files. This tool works quite effectively to resolve Windows update error code 0x80073712. The execution process is simple and for your convenience, the steps are listed below.
- You will have to perform the task on Command Prompt and that too as an administrator. Now, let’s go step by step.
- First and foremost, click on the ‘Start’ menu and type ‘cmd’ in the search bar.
- Thereafter, you will find the best matches of the result, select ‘Command Prompt’ and then right-click on it to get the additional options. Now select, an option ‘run as an administrator’ from the drop-down menu.
- Soon, you will get a pop-up window of command prompt. Now, type ‘sfc/scannow’ in the box and hit ‘Enter’. Make sure to avoid the inverted comma amid typing the command.
- Now sit idle and allow the Windows to complete the task.
After the completion of the task, restart your computer and then see the error code 0x80073712 still appears on the PC screen or not. If the issue still persists, then go for the next solution.
3] Erase Windows Update Cache
Windows Update Cache is also one of the causes behind an error code 0x80073712 Windows 10. So deleting the same will eradicate the above issue. The process is simple, but it has two phases. In the first phase, you will have to disable the Window Update feature and in the second one, you will have to delete the caches. So, let’s begin the journey.
Phase 1: Disable Windows Update
- To disable the Windows Update, you will have to open the ‘Run’ box and for that, press the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now type, ‘services.msc’ in the box and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Thereafter, you will get the new window which will feature the services of the Windows.
- Select ‘Windows Update’, double-click on it.
- Then choose the ‘Stop’ option.
- Now close the window.
Phase 2: Delete Windows Update Cache
- Open the ‘Run’ box by pressing the ‘Windows’ key and ‘R’ key together.
- Now, type ‘C:\windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download’ in the box and click on the ‘OK’ button.
- Thereafter, a window will appear which will show some files and your task is to delete all the files.
- To delete the files, select all, right–click on it and then click on ‘Delete’.
- However, if you get a pop-up showing ‘Folder Access Denied’, then click on the checkbox ‘Do this for all current items’ and then click on the ‘Continue’ button.
Last Phase: Enable Windows Update section
- Now, go back to the Windows Update section followed by the services section. The process is the same as discussed in phase 1.
- Select ‘Windows Update’, right-click on it and choose an option ‘Start’.
These were the utmost solutions to resolve an issue ‘error code 0x80073712 Windows 10’. However, if you face difficulties amid the operation, then contact us. We will remotely access your computer and will resolve the above-said issue in a quick span of time. Being a prominent tech support firm, we believe to offer effective services to the users so that they can access the features of the Operating System without any interruption. Our services are open for 24*7 so you may seek our support anytime.