Did you receive the DS4windows not working issue while trying to connect the DS4 controller with your PC/laptop?
Have you managed to fix it, if not then luckily you are at the right place..! Here learn the complete information about the issue and the ways to fix it.
So let’s begin..!
What is DS4Windows?
The DS4 Windows is a tool that emulates Sony’s Dual Shock 4 (DS4) controller like the Xbox 360 controller and allows you to play games on Windows PC/laptop.
Well, in simple words this is more like an emulator and lets you trick Windows 10 into believing you are connected with the Xbox controller.
The best part about the application is completely free and offers the best experience in playing various games.
But since after the Windows 10 latest updates, the majority of users are encountering DS4 not detecting controller Windows 10 error.
What does “DS4Windows Not Detecting Controller” Mean?
The error DS4Windows Not Working means there is a problem with the DS4Windows app because the DS4 controllers won’t connect with the Windows PC/laptop.
And when the DS4Windows fails to recognize the controller, the error message “No Controllers Connected (Max 4)” appears and won’t even disappear after reconnecting the DS4 controller with Windows 10.
Also, different users are receiving different errors when they are unable to connect DS4 Controllers with their computers. Some of them are:
- DS4Windows Not Working
- DS4 stopped working
- PS4 controller not working (DS4Windows)
- DS4Windows Not Working in-game
Well, the error messages listed are might be different but are related to the same issue. And fortunately, there are fixes that work for you to resolve DS4Windows Not Working error.
But first, learn the common causes responsible for the DS4Windows not Detecting Controller error in Windows 10.
Why Won’t DS4Windows Detect my Controller?
There are a number of different reasons responsible for the problem. Here check out some of the common ones:
- As said above, updating Windows 10 with the latest update can cause the problem as it limits the DS4 Controller utilization or causes confliction.
- DS4 Windows controller is disabled from being used in Windows 10.
- The outdated DS4 device drivers can cause malfunctioning and lead the problem.
- Or if in case your controller is broken
So, these are some of the factors that cause DS4Windows not Detecting Controller Windows 10 error.
How Do I Fix DS4Windows Not Working Error on Windows 10?
Uninstall & Reconnecting DS4 Controller Device
Very first try to uninstall and then reconnect the DS4 controller device to fix DS4Windows not Detecting Controller problem.
Follow the steps given to do so:
- First close DS4 Windows > disconnect DS4 controller.
- Now press Win + R keys > and in the Run dialogue box > type Control Panel > hit Enter.
- And in the Control Panel window,> move to Hardware and Sound settings and click on it.
- Click Devices and Printers at the top to access entire devices connected to the PC/laptop.
- And reconnect your DS4 controller to the PC. You can see a game controller icon pop-ups > right-click on > and choose Properties.
- Next in the DS4 controller properties > click on Hardware tab > double click HID-compliant game controller to open the Properties.
- Then move to the Driver tab > click Uninstall Device. And the game controller is uninstalled. And after completing the above steps make sure to disconnect it from the PC
- Next, open DS4 Windows on your PC /laptop and try reconnecting your DS4 controller. Well, the game controller will appear inside the Controllers section.
It is estimated now the DS4Windows Not Working Error in Windows 10 is fixed but if not then head to next solution.
Re-Enable DS4 Controller
Some users complained they encounter DS4 Controller not detecting problem during the gameplay, as a result, the DS4 controller stopped working and get disabled automatically
Well, this might be DS4 Windows software glitches or bug but can be fixed by re-enabling the controller device.
So, follow the steps given:
- Press Windows + R keys > to open the Run dialogue box > and type devmgmt.msc > hit Enter key.
- And click over the arrow with Human Interface Devices to expand the list > double click on the HID-compliant game controller. Next, enable it and check if it gets detected by DS4Windows or not.
Uninstall the Windows Update
As already mentioned, updating Windows 10 with the latest update and cause the DS4 Windows not working problem.
So here it is suggested to uninstall the recently install Windows update.
Follow the steps to do so:
- Press Windows + I keys > and go to Settings > next click on Update and Security.
- And from the list move to Windows Update > click on View installed update history.
- Then on the next window, click on Uninstall updates. And wait for the list to show up the entire Windows updates installed on your computer.
- Next, choose the update after which you start facing the issue > click ‘Uninstall’. And follow the onscreen instructions to uninstall the update.
- Lastly, restart your computer and try connecting the DS4 controller to your Windows PC/laptop.
Update the DS4 Window
It is expected the previous update is causing the DS4Windows not working problem. So here it is suggested to install the latest update using the DS4Updater.
You can find DS4Updater in the DS4Windows download file.
While extracting the DS4Windows download file, you can see two executable files – DS4Windows & DS4Updater.
And from here you can use the DS4Updater to install the latest update. Follow the steps to do so:
- First, move to the DS4 Windows file directory.
- Then open the extracted file > click on DS4Updater.
- Now allow the application to scan for the latest update and download it.
- You can see the ‘’DS4 Windows is up to date’’ message appears on the screen.
- Then close the DS4Updater window > relaunch DS4 Windows.
- And under the Controllers tab > check if the DS4 not detecting controller problem is resolved.
Edit DualShock 4 Controller Registry Entry
If still the DS4Windows is not working or detecting the controller, then try to edit the registry entry for the DualShock 4 controller.
Please Note: Manipulating the registry entry is quite risky as a small mistake can cause further damage, so make sure to follow the steps given very carefully.
Now follow the steps to do so:
- Assure the controller is plugged into the PC > close DS4Windows.
- Now right-click on the Windows Start icon > choose Search > type Control Panel.
- And open Control Panel > choose Hardware and Sound option > then Devices and Printers
- Next in the Devices section > right-click on Wireless Controller > now from the drop-down menu > choose Properties.
- Click on the Hardware tab > and in the Device Functions list > click on HID-compliant game controller. And in the appeared window click on the Properties.
- Next from the Property drop-down list > select Hardware ids
- Choose the first three entries in Value section > right-click > choose Copy.
- Open the Notepad and paste the entries there.
- Next right-click on the Start menu > Run > type Regedit > hit Enter.
- And in the Registry Editor window expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > then expand System > then CurrentControlSet > Services.
- Then look for HidGuardian > Parameters. If you get it, then double-click on the Affected Devices listed in the left-section. And Copy the value from the Notepad paste it into the list > click OK.
- Lastly restart the PC.
Now try to start the DS4 Windows and connect the controller, it is expected now the DS4 not detecting controller problem is resolved.
Install the PS4 Remove Play App & Uninstall Driver
Well, this is a working solution that worked for many users to fix the DS4 controller not working problem. So, if yet you are unable to fix the problem, then follow the below-given steps as this may work for you.
- Here you need to download the Remote Play App by clicking the link next to you – Download.
- And after downloading check if the controller works or not. If it doesn’t then hit Windows + R keys to open Run box > type devmgmt.msc in it > hit Enter.
- And in the device manager locate the Lib32 Wireless Driver listed inside the “Sound, video & Game Controller” section and right-click on it > choose Uninstall Device.
- Next, connect the controller to the PC with a USB cable > allow Windows to install the drivers. And check if the Remote Play App works now.
- Then disconnect your controller > download DS4 for Windows. And try to set it up by following the instructions in the setup.
- Then connect the Controller > check if it gets recognized.
- Also, check the Hide DS4 checkmark and uncheck the Swipe touchpad to change profile option
Now see if the ds4Windows no controllers connected issue is resolved or not.
Well, all the solutions to fix ds4Windows not detecting controller problems are shared with you. Make sure to follow the fixes given one by one accordingly.
I hope the solutions given works for you to get rid of the DS4windows not working issue and you start using the controller again.
But if there is anything that I missed out then feel free to share with us in the comment section below. Also if you find the article effective then please follow our Facebook page and do like and share the blog.
Also, visit our website to learn more tutorials.