Are you are facing any issue in connecting to a network using Ethernet? There are chances that you might be facing Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error.
In this error, you will not be able to use the internet and encounter the “Limited connectivity or No internet access” message displayed on your computer screen. Many users are facing this error and the good news is this error can be troubleshot by following some easy to execute steps.
In this guide, I will walk you through the methods to fix “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error. Keep reading!
What is IP Configuration?
Through IP Network, the Internet Protocol Address (IP) allows communication between devices communicating over the Internet. You have to set the values of the network configuration TCP/IP. The DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) and DNS (Domain Name System) settings are to be configured correctly to avoid configuration errors.
What is “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error?
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error that occurs when the DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) is unable to get a valid IP address from NIC (Network Interface Card).
By default, Dynamic IP configuration is enabled so that the user can connect to a network with a DHCP server automatically. Since your Ethernet is not having any valid IP configuration you will not be able to access the internet.
In such a situation, you might get an error “Limited connectivity or No internet access”. To speak in detail, you require a valid IP address to connect your computer to an internet router to function over the internet.
Why the “Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration” error occur?
There can be various reasons behind this error. However, I have listed some most common reasons reported by the users behind this error such as:
- Faulty or Outdated Network Adaptor Drivers
- Incorrect Network Configuration
Various Issues of Invalid IP configuration
You can go through the various issues that you can face related to invalid IP configuration.
- Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration: It means the router or the system is having some issues. You need to follow the simple solutions provided here to fix the invalid IP configuration problem.
- The power line issue is also common and many people face an issue with it. However, the power line adapter users come across the issue.
- In case the Ethernet is not configured properly, you may come across the issue. You need to make changes to the configuration of the router to fix the problem.
- The invalid IP query and the unidentified network error is also related to the invalid IP configuration. You can try out the same solutions listed here one by one until you fix the issue.
- The invalid connection also comes under an invalid IP configuration. You need to adjust the IP configuration to fix the issues related to it.
- The invalid config is the issue related to the inconsistencies of the network configuration. You need to concentrate and make some changes to the configuration to fix the issue.
- Sometimes, you may come across the invalid IP address error message that is due to the conflicts in IP address. You have to make necessary corrections in the router configuration to fix the issue.
- In some of the situations, your router has some problems that the Wi-Fi works well but the Ethernet connection has a problem. You can try the below-given solutions, if the problem persists, you need to change the cable.
- The computers or laptops have connectivity problems through Ethernet and the Wi-Fi of the router is working fine. You need to check the cable and the connectivity ports of the laptop and router. However, initially check the configuration of the router in your computer to connect the Ethernet perfectly.
Note: In most cases, the issue is with the Ethernet and the Wi-Fi connectivity works fine. In meanwhile, until and unless correcting the IP configuration and Ethernet issues, you can use the internet via Wi-Fi.
How to Fix Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration error?
You have to go through all solutions as one of the solutions may help you to fix the invalid IP configuration issue.
Restarting your computer is nothing but a fast startup. The restart feature is designed loading settings from cache or system memory to reduce startup and boot time. In most of the situations related to invalid IP, the configuration is due to system files loading problem. Some users reported that this error has been resolved when the system was restarted and the fast startup is disabled. To do so follow these steps:
- Right-click on the Start Menu and open the WinX Menu. Click on Power Options under the WinX Menu.
- From the left pane click on Choose what the power buttons do / Choose what the power button does.
- Click on the Change settings that are currently unavailable.
- Uncheck the checkbox beside Turn on fast startup (recommended) to disable Fast Startup and click on Save changes.
- Close the System Settings and Restart your computer.
You need to check the cables, connections, and all. However, Switch off and switch ON the modem. In some situations, the rebooting modem will help to fix the invalid IP configuration.
- Press Windows+X keys and select Network Connections.
- Now click on Change adapter options.
- Right-click on your Network Adaptor and select Properties.
- Click on the Install button.
- Select Protocol and click Add.
- Select the Reliable Multicast Protocol option and click Ok to install the Protocol.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
Configure TCP/ IP Settings Manually
Assigning of IP address is automatic by the router unless you prefer to change settings to choose IP address manually. You have to set the automatic IP address configuration. The internet properties must be configured manually to fix the Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration issue.
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type ncpa.cpl and tap on the OK button.
- Now, go to the Ethernet connection icon or local area connection (name varies from system to system), right-click, and tap on the properties.
- Tap on the internet protocol v4 (IPv4) as shown in figure and tap on the properties.
- On the new window, choose to obtain an IP address automatically and obtain the address of the DNS server automatically options. And finally, click on the OK button.
- Restart your computer and check for the error. If the error still persists then select Use the following IP address & Use the following DNS server addresses and fill in the addresses as shown in the image below:
- Click OK to save the changes and check for the error.
Reset Network Settings
You have to reset network settings because existing network conflicts cause an invalid IP configuration. On flushing DNS server and socket, reset helps to come out of the issue Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.
- Go to Start and type command prompt, tap & right-click on cmd, and choose run as administrator option.
- Now type the following commands and click on the Enter button after each command to execute it.
netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt
netsh winsock reset
- Now restart your computer.
- Go to the control panel. Navigate to network and internet, network & sharing center, and click on the adapter settings option to change it.
- Now, on the window, right-click on the Ethernet or local area connection icon, and choose disable.
- Next, follow the same procedure and choose Enable.
- Finally, restart your system. Hopefully, you can connect to the internet without any issues.
Disable Power Management Customization
- Navigate to the system tray and right-click on the Network icon. Select the Open Network & Internet Settings option.
- Now click on the Network and Sharing Centre option and select Change Adapter Settings.
- Right-click on the internet connection and choose Disable.
- Again right-click on the internet connection and select Properties.
- Click on the Configure option.
- Under the Power Management tab uncheck the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power option and click on the Ok to confirm changes.
- Right-click on the internet connection and choose Enable and check for the error.
Most of the computers and laptops are configured to use IPV4 connectivity. However, the IPV6 automatic connectivity may cause conflict. If the cause is due to IPV4 and IPV6 connectivity conflict, you should disable IPV6 connectivity to fix the issue.
- You have to right-click on the network icon present on the taskbar and choose network & sharing center settings.
- On the new window, choose adapter settings to change.
- You need to right-click on the Ethernet icon and choose the properties option.
- Navigate to IPV 6, and uncheck it and click Ok button.
- Now, restart your system and check whether the issue Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration.
Reinstall Network Adaptor
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type hdwwiz.cpl and press Ok.
- Navigate to the Network Adaptors and expand it. Go to the Network Card and click on the uninstall device.
- A confirmation box will appear and click on the Uninstall option.
- Restart your computer and check for the error.
If the DHCP is disabled the network configurations might not be applied properly and causing the error. To fix the error you need to enable DHCP. Follow these steps to do so:
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type services.msc and press Enter.
- In the services window double-click on the DHCP client.
- Click on the startup type and select Automatic from the drop-down menu.
- Now click on the Start option to start the services.
- Navigate to DHCP client option and Right-click on it. Select the Restart-Service option.
- Select Yes when asked to confirm.
Renew IP Configuration
- Press Windows+R keys to open the Run dialog box and type cmd and press Enter.
- Type the following commands one by one and press Enter after each command:
- Restart the computer and check for the error.
Ethernet doesn’t have a valid IP configuration is explained in detail along with solutions to fix it. In case of doubts or queries, you can get in touch with us through the comments section. You can follow our social media platforms like Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, etc to not miss any of the updates regarding our posts.