In simple words error code 0x80004005: Unspecified error on Windows 10 is seen when the user cannot access the shared folders, files, drives, virtual machines when the Windows update fails to install. In order to solve the issue first, one has to know its orientation what it means exactly because in Microsoft books also it is defined as an unspecified error.
What is Error Code 0x80004005: Unspecified Error
Many of the Windows 10 users always complain that error code 0x80004005 normally occurred while downloading KB3087040 update. All of us know that Windows 10 was officially released in the second half of the year 2015, and recently a new update was released to make up flaws and fix bugs. Microsoft works hard to push the updates to all of its users by the mandatory update, while this time it ended up with an error for lots of users.
KB3087040 update was provided to rectify issues related to security present in the Internet Explorer Flash player. However, thousands of the users reported on online forums or other social communities that the process of downloading the updates failed, and here is the error message: “There were problems installing some updates, but we’ll try again later”. If you keep seeing such type of message and want to search the web or contact support for information, this may help you definitely: Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64/x32 based Systems (KB3087040)–Error Code 0x80004005″
Reasons behind the error code 0x80004005: Unspecified Error
Registry key error
Any problem in the registry key affects many programs. This can be resolved by fixing
- Virtual Machine Error or
- Trying to access Shared Folder/Drives
Windows Update error
Sometimes Windows Updates could be the reason. You can fix error code 0x80004005 by
- Automatic Troubleshooter or
- Cleaning the Download Folder or
- Installing the update manually
MS Outlook error
This can be the reason for causing conflict in the system. In order to fix it try using this method
- Disable New Mail Notification
- Disable Anti-virus
Corrupt.dll file is a pool of codes which is used to run many programs at a time. If these files are corrupted it’s obvious to get a 0x80004005 an unspecified error.
Solutions for Error code 0x80004005: Unspecified Error
Basically, there are many reasons for experiencing error 0x80004005 in Window 10 the above-listed causes are the possible reasons. Devicetricks is assisting with some practical solutions to fix it let’s study each one of them in details.
How to repair Registry Key to fix Error Code 0x80004005
The wrong entry of the Registry key affects the system. To resolve the issue follow these steps
Method 1. Virtual Machine error
- Press Windows + R key and type regedit and click on OK.
- In the Registry Editor type HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows and search for the particular key in the listed index under Windows category NT/Current Version/App Compact Flags/layers. If it exists delete it and check if the error code 0x80004005 is gone or not.
- Open the Registry Editor by opening the RUN program and typing regedit in it and pressing OK.
- Now navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\ CurrentVersion\Policies\System
- Right-Click on the System category and create a new DWORD value for a 32-bit system called Local Account Token Filter Policy and set the numeric value to 1.
- Or create a new QWORD value for a 64-bit system called Local Account Token Filter Policy and set the numeric value to 1.
- After setting the values to restart the computer.
How to Update Windows to fix Error Code 0x80004005
Method 1. Automatic Troubleshooter
- Go to the Start menu, type Control panel in the search box and click on it to open.
- Search for troubleshooting in the search box and select it to open it.
- Now click on View All in the left part of the window.
- Click on Windows Update.
- And then click on Advanced.
- After clicking Advanced check the Apply remains automatically and press the next button to follow some instruction to complete the troubleshooting.
Method 2. Cleaning the Downloaded Folder
- Double click This PC and navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download.
- Press Ctrl + A to select all files and folder and delete all by pressing the delete key on the keyboard.
- Allow your computer to delete the files and folder when asked for permission. Empty the recycle bin and restart the computer to check whether the error 0x80004005 unspecified error has resolved or not.
Method 3. Install Windows Update manually
- Open the browser and search for Microsoft Windows Update KBXXXXX download. Remember to replace KBXXXXX with KB code you want to update.
- Download the Windows Update from the official Microsoft Site. Once the download is complete double click on it and follow the instruction to complete the procedure.
MS Outlook Error
Method 1. Disable New Mail Notification
- Open MS Outlook and go to the tools tab in the menu bar. Select Options to choose a preference.
- Select email options and uncheck the display notification message when new mail arrives. Check the box and then click on OK. Restart the computer.
Method 2. Disable Anti Virus
- Open the Anti-Virus program installed on your PC.
- Go to settings and select Disable option from the list.
- After disabling anti-virus software go back to MS Outlook and check whether the error is gone.
How to repair Corrupt dll. Files to fix 0x80004005 Error Code
- Open the Run program by pressing Windows + R key altogether and type %temp% to clear all the temp files.
- Select all the files and folders from the list by pressing Ctrl + A key and right-click to select the delete option.
- Empty the recycle bin and restart the PC.
These were some possible causes with their solution to fix it. Our expert team researched and encounters these causes error 0x80004005. We hope following this tutorial has helped a lot in solving the error code 0x80004005: Unspecified error. If you found this post useful please like, share and follow us. If you face this kind of problems in the future please feel free to visit us back on our website.